Devotion

One of my favorite books is a small tome titled - Women Pray: Voices Through the Ages, from Many Faiths, Cultures, and Traditions, by Monica Furlong.

The following prayer is from one of my favorite medieval mystics - Mechtild of Magdeburg:

"And God said to the soul:
I desired you before the world began.
I desire you now
As you desire me.
And where the desires of two come together
There love is perfected.

Lord, you are my lover;
My longing,
My flowing stream,
My sun,
And I am your reflection.

It is a rare
and a high way,
Which the soul follows,
Drawing the senses after,
Just as the person with sight leads the blind.
In this way the soul is free
And lives without the heart's grief,
Desiring nothing but her Lord.
Who works all things well."

This prayer arose from a soul in deep devotion...

I was reminded several times this week about what devotion means, especially last night, as I sat in a meditation group led by Dr. Rick Levy, a gifted therapist, healer, and author of Miraculous Health: How to Heal Your Body by Unleashing the Hidden Power of Your Mind.

Dr. Rick spoke about how all longing in love is ultimately a yearning for Divine Love - which is the only love that truly satisfies.

Human love is often tied up in needless melodrama and it is never really enough for us. Divine Love on the other hand - is Infinite - and if we pursue it with the same drive we use to look for human love - we will be fulfilled and rewarded in ways we did not dream possible.

During a week filled with many sacred openings as a friend noted - I was invited to deepen both my understanding and experience of devotion.

For more information on Dr. Rick Levy and his work, check his web site:

http://www.drr-daretoknow.com/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"