Autumnal River Blessings

I so looked forward to paddling today - but I found it too windy and overcast - and I chose to exercise caution...

I shared the river yesterday morning with a former high school student of mine - now a beautiful and radiant young woman - who traveled from afar to study Reiki with me. She wanted to see this river that has captivated my heart and soul...

I go to the river this afternoon, and speak to a rower emerging from the waters who describes the kind of water and currents that he encountered. He says anybody can paddle while it is sunny - but by not going in now - I would miss some of the finest waters of the season. Still, I feel mine was a wise choice. I am chilled to the bone and do not feel I would have the endurance necessary. There is always a right time and I will find it once again...

The leaves are peaking and I yearn to cross the river and entertain this explosion of color in all its majesty. I reflect on the beautiful quotes embedded within a heart-warming and inspirational video, entitled: "Autumn Blessings Movie," which I viewed before coming to the river...

"As with the leaves on a tree,
we let go and let autumn bless us
with its amazing panoramic display..."

"Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile."
- William Cullen Bryant

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you,
as sunshine flows into trees.
The winds will blow their own
freshness into you.
And the storms their energy,
while cares will drop off,
like autumn leaves."
- John Muir

"Autumn is a second spring
where every leaf is a flower."
- Albert Camus

"A few days ago, I walked along the edge
of a lake and was treated to the crunch and rustle
of leaves with each step I took.
The acoustics of this season are different
and all sounds, no matter how hushed,
are as crisp as autumn air."
- Eric Sloane

"No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace
as I have seen in one autumnal face."
- John Donne

"I cannot endure to waste anything
as precious as autumn sunshine
by staying in the house,
so I spend almost all daylight hours
in the open air."
- Nathaniel Hawthorne

"Even if something is left undone,
everyone must take time to sit still
and watch the leaves turn."
- Elizabeth Lawrence

"Delicious autumn!
My very soul is wedded to it,
and if I were a bird,
I would fly about the earth
seeking the successive autumns."
- George Eliot

"Winter is an etching,
Spring, a watercolor,
Summer, an oil painting,
and Autumn, a mosaic of them all."
- Stanley Horowitz

(To see the video - go to:
www.autumnblessingsmovie.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"