River Ablutions

Early on this Saturday morning, I head down to the river before the rain - and even before my usual morning meditation, to commune with the river...

I step in, and paddle away from the launch area - reciting one line of the Ho'oponopono Hawaiian healing and meditation practice - for each stroke of my paddle - over and over again - like a sacred mantra - as I perform my river ablutions...

This mantra is not recited for a person or a situation in particular - but is instead offered freely, from the heart - to the Divine who is the source of all healing...

"I'm sorry.
Forgive me.
I love you.
Thank you."

Over and over again I repeat each line - perfectly in sync with every stroke of my paddle as it dips into the water...

I swim in the realization that there are layers upon layers that must still be uncovered in every significant lesson and healing experience of our lives. When we think we are done with an issue, it surfaces again, peeling back another layer like an onion, revealing another level of work we must engage in...

The work is never done - and the lessons are never finished...It is a constant labor of love and of heartache as well...

I paddle straight across to the Maryland side and am drawn to a little grove of wild flowers...

It is overcast, and looking ominous - but I paddle and float for a while - not intending to go very far. I feel supported and safe here on this river - as if I am held in the very embrace of the Divine...

I review lessons I have been given in the last couple of days that remind me that I still have so much inner work to be done - so much to release and let go of...I float, and rest my paddle across Grace - my vessel on this river and my constant companion - this kayak has journeyed with me through so much in this last year...

I watch a couple of droplets of water exquisitely release from my paddle back into the river - like individual tears - so emblematic of my soul - seeking to merge with the Great Ocean of Consciousness...


I am still and I hear the voice of the Divine - reminded once again, as I was earlier this week - that the words "silent" and "listen" are both comprised of the same letters. We cannot truly listen - if we are not first silent...

The messages I receive are deep, and personal - and comforting - and so "spot on." In the breezy silence of the river I receive and accept what is given...

I paddle back, and as I begin to pull Grace out of the water, the rain begins to come, with soft, gentle, cleansing drops. The heavens participate in my river ablutions, baptizing me once again, at the mouth of this river...

And I head home with this beautiful thought from Yogananda in my heart as well:

"There is no space between minds and souls.
Though far away,
in thought our loved ones
and all things
are really ever near."

We are never alone - on land or on water - through our myriad lessons and tasks. We carry the Divine and beloved souls within the confines of our hearts. And that is enough...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Siva and Ultimate Freedom

A Christmas Poem

Rumi - "The Lord is in Me" and "Love Said to Me"